At Nebraska Star® Beef we are always looking for new and better ways to prepare our steaks! Why not, life is about experiencing new things and testing the waters and pushing boundaries! If there was not a new thing to learn in our beef business , we probably wouldn’t be doing what we do today.
Reverse Sear Steak: Medium Rare on approximately 2” thick NY Strip
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees F
- Season steak to taste
- Place steak on drip rack in oven for 40 minutes
- Pre-heat cast iron skillet to Med-High heat with 3 TBS oil
- After the 40 minutes is up, sear steak for 1 minute on each side in cast iron
- After first flip, add 2 TBS butter and 1 clove garlic to cast iron (if you don’t have garlic cloves, lightly dust steak with garlic powder)
- Baste the steak, using a spoon, with the garlic/butter in the cast iron during the searing process
- After searing on both sides, pull and rest for 6-8 minutes
- Slice and Serve
The idea behind the reverse sear steak method is to control as many variables in cooking a steak , as you can. By using the oven to do the cooking, you can control time and temperature 100% better , than on a grill. Grills are prone to flair ups and hot spots that make cooking to consistent doneness very difficult. By all means keep practicing on that grill though. The grill is still fun and challenging way to cook a steak for yourself and family. Should you have a special occasion or maybe a large gathering , the best way to keep everyone happy is to reverse sear and avoid over done or burnt steaks. Practice a few times and prefect the method. Change it up a little to work with your oven at home and get a recipe that is perfect for you!